Alexa can assist you with almost anything, even with reading eBooks and audiobooks that are purchased from the Amazon store. This is very convenient especially if you’re doing tasks other than reading books. You can invest your energy and time on those tasks while listening to Alexa reading a book that you want. Here’s a step by step guide on how you can command Alexa to read a Kindle book for you.
What is Alexa?
Alexa, or also known as Amazon Alexa, in an AI or a virtual assistant created by Amazon. It is used in Amazon Echo Dot speakers and Amazon Echo, which are both developed by Amazon Lab126.
On the other hand, the Amazon Echo is the one who allows you to connect with Alexa. It’s a smart speaker and you can do a lot of things with it. Through the Amazon Echo, you can command Alexa to make to-do lists, stream podcasts, voice interaction, play audiobooks, music playback, and provide sports, traffic, weather, and real-time information, including news. It also uses itself as a home automation system to control several smart devices.
Have Alexa Read a Kindle Book
1. Open the Alexa app on your phone or computer.
2. Buttons will appear and tap the Play button. It is located at the bottom of the screen, which looks like a standard Play button icon.
3. Look for your Kindle Library. Just scroll down the list until you find the Kindle Library option. Before you start, you need to connect Alexa to your Kindle Library.
All you have to do is click the Settings option on your Kindle device and select All Settings afterward. Once done, look for the Your Account option and log in using the username and password of your Amazon account.
4. If Alexa is already connected to your Kindle Library, choose a book that you want to listen to. But, you should remember that Alexa cannot read all types of books in your Kindle library.
The types of books she can only read are books borrowed from Prime Reading or Amazon Lending Library and books bought from the Kindle store.
5. From the drop-down menu, select the device that you want to use if you have multiple devices.
6. Once done, Alexa will immediately read the book you’ve chosen.
If you want to skip a chapter of the book that Alexa is reading, you just have to click the Player Control Bar when you open the Alexa app. This button is located at the bottom of your screen. The Now Playing screen will appear after clicking the Player Control Bar. This is where you can skip or pause a chapter of the book using the controls.
You can also select a chapter that you want easily by opening the table of contents menu. All you have to do is click the queue access button located at the bottom-left corner of the screen.
If you don’t want to open the Alexa app just to change or skip a chapter, you can also command Alexa via voice commands. Experience a smoother experience while listening to Alexa reading books by saying commands, such as:
“Alexa, read (the title of the book)”
“Alexa, skip back”
“Alexa, stop or pause”
You can also change the accent or the way Alexa speaks if you don’t like how she reads your Kindle books.