There has been a lot of debate about how Windows 10 is managing the power on laptops, but PC users don’t necessarily need the power-saving features that come with the operating system. PC users don’t have to worry about that and deal with a battery that might run out at any time of the day because their computers are plugged in directly on a power source.
However, even if it’s plugged in on a power source directly, you will still be unable to squeeze all the performance that you expect your operating system has. That is why Microsoft has released a new feature in Windows 10, which can change the overall performance of your computer.
Microsoft has introduced a new Windows 10 feature for all of its users. This feature is called the Ultimate Performance Power Plan, which was released on April 2018 Update to optimize the performance of computer systems. Read on to know more about this feature and how you can enable it on your computer so you will be able to enjoy all the benefits it brings.
The Ultimate Performance Power Plan
As mentioned earlier, the Ultimate Performance Power Plan speeds up the performance of high-powered systems. It is designed to eliminate or decrease micro-latencies, which are related to power management techniques. You are experiencing a micro-latency if you notice that there’s a small delay between the time your operating system identifies that a piece of hardware on your computer needs more power and the time the power is delivered. It still can make a difference, no matter how small the delay is.
This feature eliminates hardware polling to allow the peripheral or equipment to consume all the needed power. Other than that, this feature also disables the power-saving features on your operating system so that the system performance can be enhanced. However, if your device uses a battery, this feature is not available by default. This is because the Ultimate Performance Power Plan consumes more power and will kill battery much faster.
If the hardware on your system continuously goes back and forth from an idle state, then the Ultimate Performance Power Plan can help. However, all the hardware works together if you’re running a PC game so the only improvement that you will see is a small boost on the frames per second after the initial startup has begun. If you are running a video editor or a design program, on the other hand, you will see a big improvement in your system performance.
Another advantage of this feature is that it increases the amount of power consumed by your operating system. That is why you need to keep your device plugged in at all times if you want to enable this feature on your laptop.
Enabling the Ultimate Performance Power Plan Feature
- First, press the Windows + I key on your keyboard to open the Windows Settings app. Click the System option on the list of categories that will appear.
- Look for the Power & Sleep tab and click it. It is located on the left side of the System page. Then, click the link that says “Additional Power Settings” on the right side of the page.
- A new window will pop-up on your screen. Click the Show Additional Plans option. After that, select the Ultimate Performance option on the list.
- Take note that this option may not appear under the Settings App when a laptop is in use.
You might not see this feature on the Settings app if you’re using a laptop. But, on some computer systems, you won’t be able to find it on the Settings as well. What you should do is to add it with a quick PowerShell command or Command Prompt. Here’s how.
1. Open Powershell or Command Prompt and run it as an administrator.
For Command Prompt:
- Open the Windows Start menu. Type “cmd” on the Windows search box.
- Right-click the Command Prompt app on the search results.
- Click the Run As Administrator option on the menu.
- Press the Windows + X key on your keyboard.
- Select the “Windows Powershell or Admin” option on the menu afterward.
1. Type or copy and paste the command below. Press Enter afterward.
powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02
2. You might have to close the Power Options window if it’s already open. Then reopen it before seeing the plan appear. You can remove the plan from the Windows Settings if you don’t want to see it anymore. But, you should switch to a different plan first. You might run into errors if you delete a plan you are currently using.
3. After that, click the link that says “Change Plan Settings”, which is located on the right side of the plan. Then, click the “Delete This Plan” option.