If you want to use a single remote control for different types of appliances inside your home, then RCA is a great option for you. It is one of the most popular universal remote controls available in the market today. RCA universal remote controls have different codes for each type of appliance that you have to set in order to work.
You don’t have to worry if you don’t know the codes, RCA remotes come with a guide when you buy one. It also comes with a manual that you can follow to set up the remote and input the code properly. But, if you’re quite confused with the instructions on the manual, you can just read and follow the steps we’ve listed below. Here’s how you can program your RCA universal remote so you can use it on any device inside your home.
Important Note: Before we proceed with the step by step instructions, make sure that your RCA remote functions properly before programming it. You can test it first to know if it really works. Check the receiver of the devices you want to connect it with and make sure that there are batteries inside the RCA remote. Other than that, it is important that the remote is pointing at the device’s receiver to make the pairing successful.
Program With a Code Search Button
1. Look for the “Code Search” button on your RCA remote. Most RCA remotes have this button and it is usually located right next to the Power button at the top. It has words that say “Code Search” below or above the button.
Once you’ve found the Code Search button, you can now easily connect your device on the RCA remote. All you have to do is to enter the code that corresponds to the device that you want to connect with it.
However, if you can’t find this button anywhere in your RCA remote, proceed to the steps below.
2. Turn the device that you want to connect with your RCA remote on and your TV as well.
3. Press the device button that you want to pair and also press the Code Search button at the same time. For instance, you have to choose the TV key if you want to connect the RCA remote on a new TV. If it’s for the DVD Player, press the DVD button and the Code Search button of your RCA remote at the same time to start pairing. When the device and the remote is done pairing, the light of the remote will glow steadily after blinking once.
4. Hold the button of the device and enter the code that corresponds to the device that you want to pair with the RCA remote by using the keyboard’s number pad. For pairing the DVD player with your remote, hold down the button on the DVD player as you enter the corresponding code. The light on your remote will be turned off when you’ve done entering the code.
5. Once done, test your remote on the device you’ve paired it with. Make sure that each button of the remote works properly and that it controls the device.
Program Without a Code Search Button
On the other hand, however, if the code you have entered didn’t work and you still can’t use it to your device, you can try the other programming method below. It is called the code entry search.
It will help you look for the correct code for your device so it can connect with the remote. It also works if your RCA remote doesn’t have a Code Search button. Here’s how.
1. Look for your remote’s revision number, which is located at the battery cartridge. Remove the batteries first so you can see it. It is written on a sticker and is in number format. There are two codes in the sticker, the first one is the model number and you will see the revision number under it. Write it down on a piece of paper, you will need it later. It has five to six characters and usually starts with the letter “R”.
2. Open your browser and go to the website of RCA. Look for the revision number of your remote on this website when a drop-down menu appears. Type the first characters in the box so it can be easier for you to find the revision number. You should remove the first “R” when looking for the revision number of your remote, just search the numbers after it.
3. In order for the next drop-down menu to appear, choose the device’s brand name that you want to pair with your RCA remote. For instance, you should enter Samsung on the drop-down menu of Device Brand Name if you want to pair the RCA remote with a Samsung device.
4. After that, you have to choose the type of device that you want to pair with your remote on the next drop-down menu. For instance, you should choose DVD player on the drop-down menu of Device Type if you want to pair your RCA remote with a DVD player. If you want to pair it on your television, on the other hand, just select it in the drop-down menu.
5. Once you have selected the brand name and type of the device that you’re going to pair, the device codes will appear below it. Two or more device codes will appear under “Your Devices Codes”. Write all the codes on a piece of paper.
6. Turn on the device that you want to pair with the remote and the TV. Make sure that both your DVD player and television are switched on if you want to pair your DVD player with the RCA remote.
7. Hold the button of the device and enter the code that corresponds to the device that you want to pair with the RCA remote by using the keyboard’s number pad. For pairing the DVD player with your remote, hold down the button on the DVD player as you enter the corresponding code. The light on your remote will be turned off when you’ve done entering the code.
8. Once done, test your remote on the device you’ve paired it with. Make sure that each button of the remote works properly and that it controls the device.